One of the most sought after venues for 2017 is bound to be the newly opened Design Museum on High Street Kensington, with its views over Holland Park and stunning architecture. It’s no wonder the Evolve team couldn’t wait to discover the options for Design Museum venue hire and see if it lived up to expectations.
Our Director, who grew up in West London, has fond memories of visiting this building as a child when it was the Commonwealth Institute but now the venue is now pretty much unrecognisable as it’s been refurbished into a stunning new design, featuring an incredible hyperbolic paraboloid roof. And no, we didn’t know what that was either so we looked it up:
“A hyperbolic paraboloid construction is a doubly-curved surface that resembles the shape of a saddle, that is, it has a convex form along one axis, and a concave form on along the other. It is also a doubly-ruled surface, that is, every point on its surface lies on two straight lines across the surface. Horizontal sections taken through the surface are hyperbolic in format and vertical sections are parabolic.”
Hmmmm, if we’re honest we’re weren’t that much wiser after reading that but one thing we do know is that it looks amazing!
The Design Museum features three beautiful spaces for hire: the Helen and Johannes Huth Gallery, the atrium and the Bakala auditorium. When we visited, it was a beautiful crisp winter’s day and the venue couldn’t have looked finer set against blue skies and the grandeur of Holland Park. Inside the venue the atrium makes a real statement with different angles of the roof to admire and wonderful communal seating incorporated into the stairs. The exhibitions are inspiring, especially for those interested in the history of brands and design so we recommend incorporating the opportunity for your guests to have a good look around when you hire the venue.
The atrium, the main entrance to the museum, provides a dramatic, triple height space with views of the stunning roof.
For hire once the museum has closed to the public, the space is perfect for breakfasts, cocktail receptions, launches or award ceremonies.
- 314m2 of space, plus space on the mezzanine and 1st floor landing levels
- capacity for dining for 130 guests seated, 270 for standing receptions or 450 including other levels
- availability to combine with the Bakala auditorium for awards ceremonies, receptions, canape parties, delegate registration.
The Helene and Johannes Huth Gallery
The Helene and Johannes Huth Gallery is located on the second floor of the museum with views over Holland Park. It’s a versatile event space offering you the opportunity to host product launches, business meetings and conferences, receptions and banquets and pop-up exhibitions.
- 319m2 of space, with a retractable wall system which allows the room to be divided into two sections allowing for both large and intimate events
- capacity for dining for 200 guests seated or 220 standing receptions
- the range of cutting edge Vitra furniture with its clean lines and ergonomically designed chairs will ensure your event has a contemporary style
The Bakala auditorium
The Bakala auditorium is a 200-seat theatre style space with state-of-the-art AV facilities. It is the ideal space for screenings, conferences, product launches, lectures and award ceremonies.
- 460 m2 of space
- capacity for 202 seated plus 6 wheelchair spaces
- fixed, raked seating for 202 people
- fixed technical control position for HD projector
- 4.7m x 2.65m (16:9) screen
- surround sound PA system
- wireless presentation options
- availability to combine with the atrium for evening drinks receptions
“the natural home for everyone who has ever enjoyed or appreciated design”
We came away from our time at the Design Museum feeling really inspired and we’re sure the venue would provide a wonderful backdrop for any event that you’re hosting, giving guests that extra experience that good design provides. At the end of the day, if you want your event to look good then host it in a venue that is all about looking good and as the Design Museum aims to be the “the natural home for everyone who has ever enjoyed or appreciated design” then we think this is one venue that’s guaranteed to deliver.
Here at Evolve Events we work with some of the most prestigious and unusual venues available including venues with inspiring views. We offer a free venue finding service. If you’d like to know more about the Design Museum venue hire options and arrange a viewing or would like our help finding another perfect venue for your event just get in touch with the team.
TEL : 020 7610 2808 – EMAIL : INFO@EVOLVE-EVENTS.COM